Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Christianity & Liberalism: Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Doctrine

In this chapter, Machen elaborates on modern liberalism in the church. He argues that liberalism within the church is “no longer a matter merely an academic matter”(15). Towards the end, he states that liberalism within christianity is a “modern rival” and the two are mostly moving in opposite directions. He goes into more detail on this issue throughout the chapter. However, I plan to elaborate my thoughts on two points that I felt a personal connection to within the chapter. I found myself closely connecting with the beginning of this chapter, so this is where I plan to focus on.
Machen talks about the issue of many religious teachers being fearful of not sharing the full truth on their views on certain issues, for fear of possibly offending people. He states,
“…the religious teacher, in his heart of hearts, is well aware of the radicalism of his views , but is unwilling to relinquish his place in the hallowed atmosphere of the Church by speaking his whole mind” (15–16).
Machen goes on to say that weather these teachers are conservative in their beliefs, or “radical” in their beliefs, their word on Christian issues still matter. They are all working towards one goal, which is spreading the gospel and furthering the kingdom. I was struck by this issue, because I see this happening so often within the walls of the Bible college that I attend. I find myself getting so frustrated with those who are unwilling to speak out the truth they have in their hearts for fear of offending others. I feel as though if someone has something meaningful to say, and they feel it is a word from God, than they should say it. However, of course, this is easier said than done. our world is full of judgement, and at times it feels like it’s easier to keep out mouths shut than speak truth and get negative feedback. This part of the chapter has helped me to evaluate my life and where I fall on this issue, and speak (humbly) about what I feel is truth even if it may cause turmoil in others hearts. After all, we’re all working towards the same goal, right?
“But, it will be said, Christianity is a life, not a doctrine” (17).
The quote above is the second point I would like to elaborate on. This point is so simple, yet so relevant in our society today. Throughout the chapter, Machen talks about how some people follow creeds so closely, and while they are important to know and understand, they can often get in the way of our purpose. I think the creeds were written as guidelines for our lives, but not necessarily “strict rules” that we have to follow. To me, these strict rules are often why non-believers are turned away from Christianity. I view Christianity as a lifestyle. I am a Christian, and my goal is to love God, and love others while furthering His kingdom. this can be done in a variety of ways, depending on gifts and personalities that God gave us in order TO GLORIFY HIM! if we look at Christianity as a rulesy religion, we lose sight of our end goal, and simultaneously push people away from our beliefs.
When we combine the fear of offending others and not speaking our hearts, with looking at Christianity as a doctrine instead of a lifestyle, it becomes a dangerous, and forces us into losing sight of our end goal. I believe we were placed on this early to serve the Lord, and make a lifestyle of our beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment